Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Remediating Generational Deficiencies and the American Caste System in "Rich Boy"

I'm going to make this blog short because I'm pretty swamped, but I'd like to begin by saying that the whole notion of blogging is actually so provocative for me: once I start in the colloquial, journalesque tone of  my blogs, my thoughts on whatever book we are reading seem to flow out, multiply, and reform themselves all at once.

Sharon Pomerantz novel "Rich Boy," is the story of a first generation college student trying to create a better life for himself.  While I am not a first or even second generation college student, I think that Robert's struggle in the novel is one that is deeply resonant with many graduates.  Robert, through colloquial and well-rendered dialogue, desires to overcome what he saw as the hardships of his past.  In his case, his childhood was deformed by relative poverty, always having to penny pinch, and live in the homogenized world of the not- quite- totally-defunct-but-almost lower class.  For all of us however, regardless of whether we come from Robert's circumstances or other's, I tend to think that we all, as increasingly individualized selves, are all just trying to surpass something from our parent's sphere of influence, and make a life for ourselves that is always striving to be better than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment